SYRACUSE, N.Y. (WHCU) – The Diocese of Syracuse announced it has filed for bankruptcy following a recent wave of child sex abuse lawsuits brought against the Catholic Church.
A law firm involved in the proceedings provided the following press release with more details:
Today the Diocese of Syracuse announced it has filed for bankruptcy following a recent wave of child sex abuse lawsuits brought against the Catholic Church – the latest in a string of Catholic Church bankruptcy’s across the state, including the Diocese of Buffalo and Diocese of Rochester. Since ...
With New York’s courts on pause and the clock ticking on the Child Victims Act’s look back window, Governor Cuomo took executive action to extend the window. James Marsh, Partner at the Marsh Law Firm, discussed the impact this will have for survivors seeking civil legal action.
The Buffalo Catholic Diocese has announced the formal filing for Chapter 11 reorganization in federal court, under the U.S. Federal Bankruptcy Code.
The move had been expected for some time. Interim Bishop Edward Scharfenberger will hold a press conference to address the situation at 1 p.m. Friday.
According to the petition, the diocese has somewhere between $10 million to $50 million in assets, between $50 million to $100 million in liabilities, and anywhere from 200 to 1,000 creditors.
The diocese owes $3.5 million to its 20 largest unsecured creditors. The ...
Law firms representing clients in sex abuse lawsuits against the Rochester Catholic Diocese are urging survivors to file their claim before August 13, a deadline handed down by the bankruptcy court presiding over the Diocese’s bankruptcy filing.
Last fall, the Rochester Diocese was the first in New York to seek bankruptcy protection due to numerous lawsuits filed against the diocese under the Child Victims Act. James Marsh, founder of the New York City-based Marsh Law Firm, says the bankruptcy court has issued an August 13 deadline, called a bar date, for survivors ...
A decades-old sex abuse investigation into a retired Sarasota pastor is raising questions about Florida's statute of limitations law and how it affects a victim's search for justice.
When police arrested Henry Porter earlier this month, they said they knew about his alleged victims for years. But the statute of limitations prevented them from making an arrest.
WUSF's Kerry Sheridan spoke with Jennifer Freeman, a lawyer who specializes in child sex abuse and child pornography cases. She says it often takes decades for victims to come forward.
The story starts with an everyday event - a WhatsApp message to a group set up by mums at the school gates to discuss missing jumpers and school trips.
But this message contains a video of a little boy being sexually abused. And one of the group members happens to be a BBC radio producer.
So begins an investigation into the dark world of child sexual exploitation as she tries to find out what happened to the boy. Has he been rescued? Is his abuser in jail?
Along the way she meets the police trying to combat the online proliferation of images and videos of ...
More former paperboys are coming forward, saying they were molested by their supervisor when they worked for the Democrat and Chronicle in the 1980s.
Five men contacted WXXI in the days after our story first aired on Oct. 15. Three of them are either joining Bates' lawsuit or filing separate legal claims against the newspaper.
They said they believe Bates' allegations of sexual abuse, because they experienced something similar when they delivered newspapers for the Democrat and Chronicle in the early 1980s.
Bates' lawsuit, which was filed on Oct. 15, claims ...
NEW YORK (WCBS 880) — Advocates for survivors of abuse related to the Catholic Church are hopeful but skeptical of an independent review that found the New York Archdiocese is actively working towards preventing abuse.
Any improvement in how the Catholic Church treats children is good, according to attorney Michael Pfau, partner at Pfau, Cochran, Vertetis, Amala, in partnership with The Marsh Firm.
“Of course, the baseline you start at, the Catholic Church has a dismal history," said Pfau, who represents dozens of people who claim to have been abused ...
NEW YORK (AP) — A new lawsuit accuses a well-known New York City boys club of sexual abuse dating to 1950.
Monday's lawsuit says a doctor and basketball coach abused 20 boys at what is now the Madison Square Boys and Girls Club.
Dr. Reginald Archibald has also been accused of molesting boys at Rockefeller University Hospital. Archibald died in 2007.
Ex-club members say he abused them during exams and used his club affiliation to recruit victims to his growth study.
Coach Nicholas “Lefty” Antonucci is accused of grabbing boys' genitals. The Associated ...
Buffalo, NY (WBEN) Attorneys representing 550 survivors across New York State have announced that the Buffalo Diocese and the Boy Scouts of America have been served with lawsuits and formal discovery requests....starting with decades worth of evidence on child sex abusers, including the Catholic Church’s “secret files” and the Boy Scouts’ “ineligible volunteer files.”
“For decades, institutions like the Catholic Church and Boy Scouts have refused to acknowledge the abuse they allowed to occur under their watch, while hiding their ‘secret files’ behind ...