New York City potentially facing 17 more sex abuse lawsuits and millions in legal exposure

Daily News

The city government is potentially facing 17 new child sexual abuse lawsuits and tens of millions of dollars in legal exposure, a Manhattan law firm revealed in a recent letter to the city comptroller.

In the Oct. 11 letter, lawyer Jennifer Freeman tells Comptroller Scott Stringer her clients plan on filing “at least" 17 lawsuits against the city in the coming months and calls out the city Education Department and the Administration for Children’s Services specifically for past abuse.

“A worldwide spotlight has now been placed on the wrongdoing of major religious institutions and youth organizations,” Freeman wrote Stringer. “What has remained under the radar so far, however, is the decades-old abuse of children by adults working for their own government. Indeed, while in the care of the City of New York, our clients suffered egregious sexual abuse.”

Freeman did not touch on specific allegations in her letter to Stringer, but revealed details from eight of the 17 cases to the Daily News.

James Marsh, a colleague of Freeman’s at the Marsh Law Firm, said that while Freeman’s letter is not a notice of claim and not required under the Child Victims Act, it gives the city the opportunity to settle the cases before lawsuits are filed — which he intends to do before the end of the year. One or more settlements could save the city money and the victims from having to relive their trauma.

“It’s a win-win,” he said.

Find more information online here.

Filed Under  Child Victims Act (CVA)  Childhood Sexual Abuse  News 

No Replies to "New York City potentially facing 17 more sex abuse lawsuits and millions in legal exposure"


    Got something to say?

    Some html is OK