Marsh Law Firm PLLC

Boy Scouts, Catholic Church, more face new lawsuits as NY Child Victims Act window opens

The newest allegations came Wednesday among hundreds of lawsuits filed under New York’s Child Victims Act, which opened a one-year window for lawsuits from child sexual abuse victims previously barred by the statute of limitations.

Attorney Vincent Nappo said the goal is to raise public awareness. He said his firm – Pfau, Cochran, Vertetis and Amala – is filing seven lawsuits Wednesday in New York against Boy Scouts of America on behalf of 20 survivors of sexual abuse.

The suits contain allegations that span decades, from the mid-1960s to the late 1980s. The majority involve Scoutmasters and other adult leaders. Nappo said his firm represents additional clients who say they were abused in Scouting across the country, and there are three active cases in Washington and Chicago. 

“Now that the law’s about to open up … I think there’s going to be even more people who are going to read about this and hear about it, and the Boy Scouts are going to have a lot of tough questions to answer,” Nappo said.

Exit mobile version