ALBANY – Six months after the Child Victims Act went into effect, survivors and lawyers say hundreds of lawsuits have stalled in the pre-trial discovery stages.
In August, the act opened a one-year look-back period temporarily eliminating the civil statute of limitations on child sex abuse cases, allowing survivors of all ages to lodge lawsuits against their alleged offenders. The first filing day, Aug. 14, saw more than 400 lawsuits – and there have been about 1,000 more statewide in the months since.
But as attorneys await evidence from defendants, several ...
A woman who says she was exploited for years starting at age 12 by a sex trafficker who used the shuttered website Backpage.com to sell her is suing the founders of the site under New York's Child Victims Act, which loosened the statute of limitations for child sex abuse.
The lawsuit filed Tuesday in state court in Manhattan by Melanie Thompson, now 23, charges that the men who ran Backpage advertised her for sex even though they knew she was a minor, masking her age in the ads to keep law enforcers at bay.
Thompson is being represented by the Seattle-based law firm ...
Jennifer Freeman shares her insight on the law, which opens a one-year window for molestation claims to be filed no matter how long ago it happened.
A decades-old sex abuse investigation into a retired Sarasota pastor is raising questions about Florida's statute of limitations law and how it affects a victim's search for justice.
When police arrested Henry Porter earlier this month, they said they knew about his alleged victims for years. But the statute of limitations prevented them from making an arrest.
WUSF's Kerry Sheridan spoke with Jennifer Freeman, a lawyer who specializes in child sex abuse and child pornography cases. She says it often takes decades for victims to come forward.
It’s a financial reckoning playing out in such populous Catholic strongholds as New York, California and New Jersey, among the eight states that go the furthest with “lookback windows” that allow sex abuse claims no matter how old. Never before have so many states acted in near-unison to lift the restrictions that once shut people out if they didn’t bring claims of childhood sex abuse by a certain age, often their early 20s.
AP interviews with more than a dozen lawyers and clergy abuse watchdog groups offered a wide range of estimates but many said they ...
The story starts with an everyday event - a WhatsApp message to a group set up by mums at the school gates to discuss missing jumpers and school trips.
But this message contains a video of a little boy being sexually abused. And one of the group members happens to be a BBC radio producer.
So begins an investigation into the dark world of child sexual exploitation as she tries to find out what happened to the boy. Has he been rescued? Is his abuser in jail?
Along the way she meets the police trying to combat the online proliferation of images and videos of ...
Two more men have filed lawsuits alleging that a priest at Holy Cross Church in Wawayanda sexually abused them for years while their families belonged to the church and they were altar boys in the 1970s and 1980s.
The cases were filed in state Supreme Court in Orange County last week on behalf of Russell Coelho, who now lives in Milford, Pa., and Kevin Dow, who lives in Tampa. Each suit is seeking damages from the Middletown-based Carmelite order that runs the church and was brought under the Child Victims Act, a state law enacted this year that gave past victims of ...
More former paperboys are coming forward, saying they were molested by their supervisor when they worked for the Democrat and Chronicle in the 1980s.
Five men contacted WXXI in the days after our story first aired on Oct. 15. Three of them are either joining Bates' lawsuit or filing separate legal claims against the newspaper.
They said they believe Bates' allegations of sexual abuse, because they experienced something similar when they delivered newspapers for the Democrat and Chronicle in the early 1980s.
Bates' lawsuit, which was filed on Oct. 15, claims ...
Their stories are strikingly similar: Five middle-aged men, all former Democrat and Chronicle paperboys in Brighton in the early 1980s, who claim they were sexually abused by their supervisor while on the job.
They spoke up one at a time, and mostly unbeknownst to the others, in the weeks since CITY and its media partner WXXI News first reported last month that another man, Rick Bates, sued the newspaper and its parent company, Gannett Co., for abuse he allegedly suffered as a paperboy in Brighton in 1983.
Their alleged perpetrator was Jack Lazeroff, who was ...
En cette Journée internationale pour l'élimination de la violence à l'égard des femmes, des manifestations ont eu lieu aujourd'hui dans plusieurs pays. Selon les Nations unies, une femme sur trois subit, au cours de sa vie, des violences physiques ou sexuelles, souvent lorsqu'elle est mineure. Depuis l'explosion du mouvement « Me Too », il y a deux ans, une vingtaine d'États américains ont modifié leurs lois pour allonger les délais de prescription. Des dizaines de milliers de victimes ont ainsi pu entamer des poursuites contre leurs agresseurs. Et l'État de ...